Promoting Norwegian-Russian relations in the north
The work of the Norwegian Barents Secretariat could be divided in three.
- On behalf of the Norwegian Ministry of Foreign Affairs we fund bilateral Norwegian-Russian cooperation projects.
- Resource center and coordinate the projects within the Barents Programme.
- The Secretariat grants approximately 200 Norwegian-Russian projects annually.
- Information work within the Barents Region on the Barents program and the project funding.
- Updates Government, Parliament, economic life, organizations and similar outside the region on the development and possibilities of the Barents Region
- Visualize the regional activity and increase the international support for the cooperation.
- Carry through or finance various types of reviews or reports on relevant topics in the region.
- Coordinates the national goals with the regional political priorities within the frames of the multilateral Barents Cooperation.
- Work as a resource center for the councils, committees and working groups of the Barents Cooperation.